Square Up is the first Korean mini-album by BLACKPINK. It is available in two versions and contains 4 tracks, with "Ddu-Du Ddu-Du" and "Forever Young" serving as the album's double title tracks. "Square Up", which means "stick together" and "prepare to fight", has a message of "let's stand up to the challenge", exploring a mature concept. The album was released digitally on June 15, 2018, and physically on June 20, 2018.
- "Ddu-Du Ddu-Du (뚜두뚜두)" - 3:29
- "Forever Young" - 3:57
- "Really" - 3:17
- "See U Later" - 3:18
- "As If It's Your Last" - 3:33
Background And Release
On April 24, 2018, CEO of YG Entertainment, Yang Hyun-suk raised expectations of the group's comeback via SNS stating that by the end of this year Black Pink will return with new music soon. And on May 17, he revealed the month of June for the release while answering fan asked questions on SNS. It wasn't until May 25, he confirmed the date June 15 and revealed the album.
On June 1, the album's moving poster was unveiled, followed by full track list on June 5 and the individual moving poster of the members simultaneously.
In the afternoon of June 15, Black Pink held a press conference for the release of "Square Up" at M-CUBE, Sinsa-dong, Seoul. On the same day, one hour prior to the EP's release a countdown special live was broadcast on Naver's V LIVE broadcasting site featuring Black Pink discussing the new music. It garnered over 850,000 viewers. On June 16, "Blackpink Area", a Square Up concept pop-up store was made public to the fans, at the same location where Blackpink House was filmed, for 9 days. It was further announced that the group will be appearing as guests on JTBC's Idol Room to promote their EP, making their debut on the show.
Black Pink held their comeback stage on MBC's Show! Music Core on June 16 and on SBS's Inkigayo on June 17 featuring performances of both title tracks "Ddu-Du Ddu-Du" and "Forever Young", and will further continue promoting on various music programs in Korea.
|Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)||26|
|Canadian Albums (Billboard)||21|
|French Albums (SNEP)||125|
|Hungarian Albums (MAHASZ)||28|
|Japanese Albums (Oricon)||11|
|Japan Hot Albums (Billboard Japan)||8|
|South Korean Albums (Gaon)||1|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||24|
|US Billboard 200||40|
|US Digital Albums (Billboard)||40|
|US Independent Albums (Billboard)||4|
|US World Album (Billboard)||1|
|South Korean Albums (Gaon)||21|
|US World Albums (Billboard)||12|
|South Korean Albums (Gaon)||89|
|Various||June 15, 2018||Digital download||YG Entertainment, Genie Music|
|South Korea||June 20, 2018||CD|
- BLACKPINK - ‘뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU)’ M/V TEASER
- BLACKPINK - 1st MINI ALBUM 'SQUARE UP' SAMPLER
- BLACKPINK - '뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU)' M/V MAKING FILM
- BLACKPINK - '뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU)' M/V
- BLACKPINK - '뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU)' DANCE PRACTICE VIDEO (MOVING VER.)
- BLACKPINK - 'Forever Young' DANCE PRACTICE VIDEO (MOVING VER.)
- BLACKPINK - ‘SQUARE UP’ FAN SIGNING DAY IN GOYANG
- BLACKPINK - ‘SQUARE UP’ FAN SIGNING DAY IN YEOUIDO
- Moving Poster
- BLACKPINK - 'SQUARE UP' ROSÉ MOVING POSTER
- BLACKPINK - 'SQUARE UP' JISOO MOVING POSTER
- BLACKPINK - 'SQUARE UP' JENNIE MOVING POSTER
- BLACKPINK - 'SQUARE UP' LISA MOVING POSTER
- Focused Cam
- BLACKPINK - LISA '뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU)' FOCUSED CAMERA
- BLACKPINK - JENNIE '뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU)' FOCUSED CAMERA
- BLACKPINK - ROSE '뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU)' FOCUSED CAMERA
- BLACKPINK - JISOO '뚜두뚜두 (DDU-DU DDU-DU)' FOCUSED CAMERA
- Square Up has over 730 million streams on Spotify. It's the third album by a Korean female act to reach this milestone, joining Kill This Love and The Album as the only albums to do so.
- It's also the second album by a Korean female act to surpass 500 and 600 million streams.
- With 400 million streams, Square Up is the most streamed album by a female group on MelOn.
- Square Up gained 199,168,486 streams in 2020 on Spotify. It's the 4th most streamed female K-pop group album in 2020.
- Square Up is the first and only album by a female group where all the tracks (4) surpassed 50,000 likes on MelOn.
- Square Up is the first album by a Korean girl group to have over two billion digital points on Gaon.
- Square Up got 52 #1's on iTunes. It's the third album by a Korean girl group and fifth by a girl group with the most #1's.
- Square Up spent 1 week on the Billboard 200.
- Square Up has been certified Platinum by Gaon for over 250,000 copies sold.
- Overall, Square Up has sold 379,000 copies on Gaon. It is the fourth best selling physical album by a YG artist overall.
- Square Up has sold over 100,000 equivalent album units worldwide in 2021 so far.
- Square Up is the second most streamed K-Pop girl group album with over 3.2 billion total global streams.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|