R (also stylized as -R-) is the debut single album by Rosé. It was released on March 12, 2021, with "On The Ground" serving as the album's title track.
The single album holds a much more mature appearance and music, is a concept of a retro/cinematic mood, and has more value of obtaining since Rosé participated in the album design herself.
Background and Release
On January 25, 2021, it was reported and later confirmed by YG that Rosé would be performing a song from her solo album for the first time at their concert BLACKPINK: The Show. The following day, a coming soon teaser was posted onto BLACKPINK's YouTube channel. Later on, YG stated that the song played in the video was the b-side track. On January 31, after Rosé performed her solo song, it was revealed to be "Gone."
On February 10, 2021, YG announced that Rosé would be making her solo debut sometime in March. They had finished filming the music video for the title song, and they are ensuring its completeness due to a large amount of production fee. A couple of hours later, it was mentioned that they would be sharing more details about schedules with an official notice at a later time.
On February 26, 2021, Naver reported that Rosé's debut solo album would be released in early March. On March 2, 2021, two teaser posters were posted onto BLACKPINK's social media accounts. It was announced that she will be making her solo debut on March 12, 2021, with a single album, "R."
On March 5, 2021, a title poster was posted onto BLACKPINK's social media accounts announcing the name of the title track, “On The Ground." The teaser for the music video was released on March 8, 2021 through BLACKPINK's social media accounts. The tracklist was revealed on March 9th. The instrumental for “On The Ground” and “Gone” are only available on the CD version. On March 10th, another teaser for the music video was released.
On March 12, 2021, an online press conference for Rosé's single album R was held at 12 pm KST. A couple hours later, a comeback live was held on BLACKPINK's Vlive at 1 pm KST. The making film for the music video was released on March 13th on BLACKPINK's social media accounts.
Music show promotions began on March 14, 2021 on Inkigayo. She had her solo debut stage there. For the first week of promotions, Rosé performed both tracks, "On The Ground" and "Gone". For music shows performed on M Countdown, Music Core, and Inkigayo. She also performed on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon on March 16th.
Rosé had a fan sign event on March 20th and March 21st. The fan sign on March 20th was for Koreans and the 21st was for foreigners. She also collaborated with Ktown4u and had a fan sign event through them on March 28th. Rosé will be performing on the Kelly Clarkson Show on March 29th.
On March 30, Rosé appeared on Nippon TV Sukkiri 'WE News' at 10 am KST. She performed "On The Ground" and shared a message during the show.
On April 1, 2021, a teaser poster was posted on BLACKPINK’s social media accounts announcing that the Gone music video would be released on April 5, 2021. It was released on this day at 12 am KST.
Music show promotions ended on April 4th at Inkigayo.
On May 7, it was announced that there will a special edition photobook for R which will be released on June 22.
|South Korean Albums (Gaon)||2|
|South Korean Albums (Gaon)||3|
- Rosé personally named the single album the first letter of her name as it means a new beginning as a solo artist.
- During the press conference for R, Rosé decided to have both songs off the album be completely in English due to their completeness in comparison to Korean. 
- Rosé’s teaser posters reached 162k+ likes on BLACKPINK’s Twitter within 10 minutes.
- The first two teaser posters surpassed The Album Coming Soon teaser in 6 hours with over 344k likes. It had 470k+ likes in 24 hours making it the most liked individual teaser by a Korean female act on Twitter. It has over 505K+ likes overall.
- R surpassed 300,000 total pre-orders on Ktown4u. R is also the fastest album by a female artist to achieve this. (2 days) R joins BLACKPINK's The Album as the only female albums to sell over 225,000 copies on Ktown4u. R has the highest number of pre-orders for a K-Pop female soloist overall.
- R is the second best selling female solo album on Ktown4u (300,000 copies).
- R is the first female album to surpass 50,000 sales during its opening day of pre-orders.
- R has recorded over 500,000 pre-orders.
- R (regular version) sold over 329,000 copies on Ktown4u, making it the 8th best selling album on their site.
- R has spent 7 consecutive days at #1 Daily Chart on Ktown4u.
- R surpassed 77,000 pre-orders on Ktown4u in 24 hours. It is the second fastest for a female soloist in history to achieve this.
- R is the second best selling album overall by a YG artist on Ktown4u. The first being BLACKPINK's The Album.
- R joins BLACKPINK's The Album as the only female albums to sell over 200,000 copies on Ktown4u.
- R surpassed 1.5 million downloads on QQ Music, making it certified diamond. It's the most downloaded single album by a Korean act.
- It also surpassed 200,000 downloads in the first five minutes of release.
- R has grossed 960 million KRW (850K USD) on QQ Music, the most for any digital album released in 2021.
- R has surpassed 1.7 million copies sold in China making it the best selling single-album in 2021.
- R ranks #4 in Best Selling Single/EPs (digital) 2021 in China with accumulated 1,650,000 digital copies.
- R earned the biggest album debut by a Korean female soloist/act in Spotify history with just two tracks (8.6 million unfiltered streams). It is the #1 biggest debut album in 2021 so far.
- R has the second biggest album debut by a female artist in the platforms history, the first being The Album.
- R had the biggest opening week by a Korean female soloist album on Spotify, with 40,070,286 streams. It also had the third biggest opening week by a K-Pop female act on the platform overall.
- R is the best selling album by a foreign artist on Kogou Music in 2021 with (107,925 copies).
- R sold 520,000 copies on Hanteo. It's the second best selling single album by a K-pop artist, surpassing BLACKPINK's HYLT single album, in just 5 hours.
- It's the second best selling album by a female soloist in Hanteo chart history, and the first to sell over 300,000, 400,000 and 500,000 copies. 
- Selling 282,674 copies, R is the second highest first day sales by a female soloist on Hanteo. It's also the third highest first day sales by a female act overall.
- Selling 448,089 copies in its first week, R is the second highest first week album sales by a female soloist.
- R is the second best selling YG Entertainment album released in 2021 on Hanteo.
- It's the third best selling female album.
- R is the #2 album for a female act, this was achieved within its first day of sales.
- R ranked #19 out of the Top 100 first week sales.
- R has surpassed 280 million streams on Spotify. It's the fastest album by a Korean soloist to achieve this.
- It surpassed 100 million streams on Spotify in 29 days.
- R is the second fastest album by a Korean soloist to surpass 200 million streams on Spotify. (124 days)
- R is the 13th most streamed album released in 2021 on Spotify.
- R is the second most streamed album by a Korean female soloist on Spotify.
- It's the third most streamed album released in 2021 by a Kpop female artist.
- R was inspired by S.E.S. 20th Anniversary Album ‘Remember’ as reference when Rosé was designing her album.
- R surpassed 100,000 streams on Shazam.
- With 604,705 copies sold, R is the second best selling album by a female soloist on Gaon chart history. It is the fourth best selling physical album by a YG artist overall.
- It's among the top 3 best-selling female albums on Gaon at #3.
- It's certified Double Platinum on Gaon (500,000).
- R surpassed 90 million total streams on MelOn.
- R has surpassed 200 million digital points on Gaon.
- Song featured in coming soon teaser
- Solo debut in March
- Rosé Solo Update
- Solo Album Release
- Rosé Single Album
- "On The Ground" Title Poster
- Online Press Conference
- BLACKPINK Member Rosé Scheduled To Appear On March 29 “Kelly Clarkson Show”
- Rosé opens up about the meaning behind the name
- BLACKPINK’s Rosé Explains Why Her Entire Solo Album Is In English
- ROSÉ - TEASER POSTER
- BLACKPINK ROSÉ’s Solo Album Reaches 500 Thousand Album Sales… Half Million Selling Female Solo Artist in 19 Years